The Savvy Traveler's
1. Entry: No purchase necessary. Entries may be submitted online to www.savvytraveler.com or by regular mail: The Savvy Traveler, Sail Away Contest, Marketplace Productions, 3716 S. Hope Street, Suite 130, Los Angeles, CA 90007. Limit one entry per person. The contest begins the weekend of September 8, 2000 and all entries must be received by 12 NOON PDT, TUESDAY OCTOBER 10, 2000.
The contest sponsor is Minnesota Public Radio, the producer of The Savvy Traveler. Public Interactive manages the Savvy Traveler website, but is not a contest sponsor.
No responsibility is assumed by Minnesota Public Radio, Public Interactive and/or its partners and affiliates for lost, late, misdirected, illegible, or mutilated submissions or for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur.
2. Winner Selection: The finalists will be selected based on the judgment of The Savvy Traveler editorial staff and the Winner will be selected by master dramatist Norman Corwin. The winning essay will be chosen for its creativity, travel-relatedness and clarity of writing. The Winner will be selected by FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2000. The Winner will be notified via telephone and/or email. The taping of the show announcing the winner will be Thursday, October 19, 2000. The announcement will be broadcast beginning Saturday October 21, 2000.
In the event that the author of the winning essay is unreachable or unable or unwilling to collect the prize, the Savvy Traveler staff will award the prize to the author of the next best essay that demonstrates the criteria described above.
The making of any purchase or pledge will not increase your chances of winning. The odds of winning are dependent on the number of entries.
3. Grand Prize: A 5 DAY/4 NIGHT trip for two aboard the Alsons II either in the Caribbean (fall and winter) or in New England (spring and summer). The Alsons II is an 82-foot motorsailer ideal for couples. On deck, she has ample room for sunbathing and is equipped with comfortable sun mats, as well as an aft "fantail" on which to enjoy cocktails and conversation. Alsons II's fully enclosed cockpit is luxuriously appointed with plenty of cushions for your comfort and is the perfect place to get a little shade away from the sun. The saloon and dining areas are absolutely superb - gleaming mahogany, leaded glass and colors designed for a relaxing atmosphere. A full entertainment system is available with a large library of music CDs and videotapes. Prize package includes:
The grand prize package does not include:
All travel and accommodations are subject to availability and black out periods. American Airlines blackout dates are as follows:
Travel is not permitted on these dates. American Airlines blackout dates are subject to change without notice.
The entire trip package, including air travel, is valid through 10/20/01. The American Airlines travel voucher must be completed by the Winner and received by American Airlines at least two (2) weeks prior to your requested departure date. This travel award is NOT refundable or transferable, and is void if sold for cash or any other consideration. AAdvantage miles are not awarded for this travel. Any fee, tax (including income tax), surcharge, service charge, customs fee, or passenger facility charge is the responsibility of the passenger.
The reservations for the flights and accommodations will be entirely up to the Winner and not the responsibility of The Savvy Traveler or its partners.
The Winner must make all arrangements for the cruise portion of the prize directly with the Alsons II. The Savvy Traveler will present the American Airlines Travel gift voucher to the Winner, who will thereafter make their air travel arrangements directly with American Airlines. The employees and agents of The Savvy Traveler, Marketplace Productions, Minnesota Public Radio or Minnesota Communications Group are not a travel agent of any kind.
The prize package cannot be split in any way. If the flight portion of the total prize is not needed to meet or return from the Alsons II, then it will become void. The winner cannot accept the flight portion of the prize only. It must be used in conjucntion with the cruise.
4. Eligibility: This contest is open to all persons worldwide, age 18 and older. Void where prohibited by law. Persons who are or were as of January 1, 2000 employees of Kent Foster, the Alsons II, American Airlines, The Savvy Traveler, Minnesota Public Radio and Public Interactive, their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies and the immediate household members of each are not eligible.
5. Winners List: The name of the Winner will be read on-air during The Savvy Traveler program on Saturday, October 21, 2000 and will be posted on The Savvy Traveler web site. In addition, the name will be maintained at the sponsor's offices at Marketplace Productions, 3716 S. Hope Street, Suite 130, Los Angeles, CA 90007 for six months after the conclusion of the contest. By accepting the Prize, the Winner agrees to allow his/her name and essay to be read on-air and posted on The Savvy Traveler web site.
6. General Conditions: You agree to abide by the terms of the Official Fine Print and by the decisions of the judges, which are final. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. All taxes on prizes and expenses as a result of winning this prize are the sole responsibility of the Winner. The Winner will receive a 1099 form with the above stated value at year end.
Participants release and hold harmless Kent Foster, the Alsons II, American Airlines, The Savvy Traveler, Minnesota Public Radio, Minnesota Communications Group and Public Interactive, their affiliates, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability for injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with The Savvy Traveler "Sail Away..." contest or any prize won.
The Prize must be claimed within one year from the date of award, except where otherwise noted. The Prize is non-transferable, and cannot be exchanged for cash. There can be no substitutions for a prize of equal or greater value. The Savvy Traveler and Minnesota Public Radio may use Winner's names and likenesses for publicity purposes without further compensation.
7. Restrictions: By participating in the "Sail Away..." contest, a participant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules, and by all decisions of the contest judges. The Prize will not be awarded unless the Winner agrees to sign an Official Receipt of Prize form and an IRS Form W-9.
8. Privacy Issues: The following "privacy and data usage" policy outlines not only the philosophy of Public Interactive, but also our operational guidelines for the use of information collected on-line:
|American Public Media Home | Search | How to Listen|